Site news

UNIT 5 ~ Many Saints

UNIT 5 ~ Many Saints

by Kenneth Rolling -
Number of replies: 0

Cosmas and Damian
Saints Cosmas and Damian, 17th c. icon, Historic Museum in Sanok, Poland

TIP of the MORNING:  To create a new habit the first step is to formulate a plan for action in the following format:
"I will [DO THIS BEHAVIOR] at [TIME] in [LOCATION]. 
This creates a clear statement of the behavior and a clear set of circumstances for undertaking it.  For example, "I will study Latin for 10 minutes at 8 AM at my desk."  Formulate a statement like this for a new habit you are working on, write it on a note, and put it up as a reminder.  Source: Atomic Habits by James Clear

POEM of the WEEK:  "Day Is Done" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  Recited by Jonah Baumert.

Student and instructor contributions for "Poem of the Week" are welcome.  Send a message to Mr. Rolling with "Poem of the Week," and the title and author of the poem you would like to recite.

A CLOAK of MANY COLORS: This week the calendar is filled with wonderful saints who display the variety, rich humanity, and individual holiness of the saints of Christ.  Be sure to read up about Cosmos and Damien (one of the earliest feasts in the calendar), Lawrence Ruiz (the first Filipino to be canonized), Wenceslaus (of Christmas fame), and Jerome (ascetic and scholar).  Don't overlook the Archangels, as well.

WISDOM of the SAINTS: "How I love the feasts!  I especially loved the processions in honor of the Blessed Sacrament.  What a joy it was for me to throw flowers beneath the feet of God!  I was never so happy as when I saw my roses touch the sacred Monstrance."  Saint Therese of Lisieux

REMEDIAL DAY:  Monday of next week, October 2nd, is a "remedial day" on the academic calendar.  That means that it is a day to

1. catch up quizzes;
  2. tidy up and review the study materials for coming exams (some midterms in units 7 and 8);
  3. finish off and turn in any late work from Unit Five;
  4. and generally put our houses in order BEFORE we stop work to enjoy the break. 
The Academy will be closed for Fall Break next week.  The Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary is celebrated on October 5.